Flavorsome Friends Lamb Kibbeh
For the Bulgur:
1/2 pound bulgur (medium variety or #2)
3 cups water (cold)
For the Beef Preparations:
2 medium onions (divided, 1 finely chopped, 1 coarsely chopped)
2 pounds Flavorsome Friends Ground Chicken-Lamb
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (divided)
1 1/4 teaspoons pepper (divided)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
vegetable oil (for frying)
1) In a medium bowl, place the bulgur wheat and add the cold water. Let it soak for 30 minutes.
2) Remove excess water by placing the bulgur in a cheesecloth or clean kitchen towel and thoroughly squeezing. Reserve.
2) In a medium bowl, mix the coarsely chopped onion with one pound of meat, the soaked bulgur, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Stir well to combine.
3) Process small amounts of the meat mixture in a food processor until you obtain a dough-like consistency. Repeat the procedure until all of the beef mixture has been processed. Reserve, covered.
4) In a medium frying pan, add the olive oil and the finely chopped onion. Add pine nuts if using, and cook until the onions are translucent.
5) Add the remaining pound of meat and with the help of a wooden spoon tear apart the meat to ensure all of it cooks homogeneously in small bits. Add the allspice and remaining salt and pepper. Add the cumin and stir well.
6) Once the beef is light brown, remove from the heat and allow it to cool off for 10 minutes.
7 )Take an egg-sized amount of raw and fine meat mixture and form it into a ball. Using your index finger, poke a hole in the ball, making a pocket for the filling. Add some cooked filling and pinch the top to seal the ball.
8) Shape it into a ball, or pinch the ends to form a little football.
9) In a deep frying pan or deep-fryer, heat the oil to 350 F.
10) Fry the kibbeh in batches until golden brown and crunchy, or about 10 minutes. Be mindful of not overcrowding the pan so the balls cook evenly.
11) Drain on paper towels and serve hot or warm.
Recipe Adapted from